We all have heard about the quote that, ‘a healthy mind resides in a healthy body’ hence it is important that we keep our mind and body healthy. In today’s world where the competition has increased in every field, there is an urgent need to introduce wellness programs in corporate sectors.
Corporate wellness programs are imperative for mental as well as physical health of your employees. These programs refer to the health benefits that many employers provide in addition to health insurance. Depending on the size of your company you can choose corporate wellness programs for your employees, the ideas for these programs can range from ideas that have a specific purpose, such as helping the employee to quit smoking or to lose weight; to onsite gyms or gym memberships, to incentive programs that provide rewards for participation or in achieving the desired results.
When an employee is happy and healthy he will perform his daily tasks with all his heart, therefore making the business more productive and profitable. Wellness programs not only help the employees but are beneficial for the company as well.
Here are a few ideas that you can use to help improve the health of your employees:
- On-site fitness centres: Thee fitness centres offer team members a swimming pool, a rock-climbing wall, and access to personal trainers that help them to remain physically fit but these programs are suitable for large companies only because it is very expensive for small companies to provide their team members with a 72,000 square foot fitness centre.
- Smoking cessation programs: The employers should encourage their staff to quit smoking as it can cause serious damage to both the health of the employee as well as the company.
- Yoga classes: Many companies offer yoga classes to their employees, it can be held twice a week or once a week. The companies can use their conference or break rooms to provide yoga classes for the employees throughout the workday.
- Lunch and healthy snacks: Many companies add time to the lunch break so that employees can take a walk or go home for a healthy meal as with only 30 minutes they are not able to eat their lunch properly. You can introduce healthy and communal eating programs to encourage interaction between people from different teams.
- Employee assistance programs: Employee assistance is another important factor that contributes to the wellness of an employee, therefore, employers should provide confidential support for issues like stress, substance abuse, depression, and anxiety.
- Paramedical Services: The employers can offer paramedical services, like massage therapy, to their team members while they’re at work. You can employ massage therapists to give 10-minute upper back and neck massages at work.
- Transit options: You can encourage alternative methods of transportation, such as bike-sharing or public transit incentives, which are beneficial to the workplace and the future of the environment.
Our employees are valuable for us, therefore, it is important that we focus on their well-being and happiness in the workplace. The corporate wellness programs are not very costly and hence any organization can incorporate the wellness program in their workplace for the betterment of the company as well as employees.