Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine that originated in India 5000 years ago. Ayurvedic treatments focus on the root cause of the disease and its treatment. This preventive healthcare medicinal system is based on the belief that health and wellness depend on a fine balance between the mind, body, and spirit. It is aimed at promoting good health and preparing your body to fight disease.
By following ayurvedic practices one can attain good health and deal with various health problems. Some of the practices that are beneficial for healthy living are yoga, oil massages, herbal medicines, a healthy diet, and lifestyle changes.
In Ayurveda, there are various methods to treat diseases and cleanse the body such as Panchakarma, Shaman, Rasayana, Satvajaya, and mental hygiene. Moreover, there are many other ayurvedic treatments that help you in getting rid of various ailments. And some of them are listed below:
In Sanskrit, the term Pizhichil means to squeeze. It is a treatment that combines two therapies,e. Snehana and Swedhana. Snehana refers to an oil massage and Swedhana means to induce sweat. This treatment is used to enhance blood circulation and eliminate toxins from the body. This therapy is primarily aimed at reducing anxiety and stress.
- During Pizhichil treatment, a piece of cloth is dipped in warm medicated oil. It is then squeezed and poured onto the body of the patient followed by a rejuvenating massage.
- This treatment is very useful for treating diseases like Arthritis, Hemiplegia, Paralysis, Sexual disorders, Nervous disorders, etc.
Njavarakizhi is a nourishing therapy that relaxes both mind and body. The treatment is called Njavarakizhi as it involves the use of Navara rice. It is a type of rice that is used as the main ingredient for the treatment.
- Here, the body is massaged with small linen poultices filled with Navara rice. These rice are cooked in cow’s milk and specific herbs. These poultices are gently pressed all over your body for about 30-40 minutes.
- The rice is then applied to your body while it is warm, and is wiped off after a while. Then another type of oil is applied to your body and you are allowed to relax for half an hour. After this, you can take a warm shower.
- This treatment is for all types of rheumatism, joint pain, emaciation of limbs, cholesterol, and certain kinds of skin diseases.
A Shirodhara treatment is one of the best preventive healthcare Ayurvedic treatments that awaken your intuition, improve your sleep, and provide relaxation to your mind and body.
- In this treatment, the patient is asked to lie down with closed eyes. Then about 2 liters of lukewarm oil is poured continuously as a stream onto his forehead in an oscillating manner.
- The time duration of the treatment may extend from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the condition of the patient. It may also include pouring buttermilk, decoctions, or even water.
- It provides relief from chronic headaches, insomnia, mental tension, hysteria, hallucination, and insanity, to name a few.
This is one of the major ayurvedic treatments that is primarily focused on the exfoliation of the skin.
- In this procedure, the body is coated with herbal oils. Then herbal powders are rubbed vigorously on the body in the upward direction. The massage is performed by applying suitable pressure so as to break down the fat under the skin.
- The therapy is concluded by a complete rest of half an hour in steam therapy followed by a bath. It is performed for about 30 to 45 minutes per day for a period of 14 to 28 days.
- This treatment is a time-tested remedy for Hemiplegia, Paralysis, Obesity (excess fat), and certain Rheumatic ailments.
It is an Ayurvedic therapy for women that involves the use of medicated oil for cleaning the vaginal area.
- In this process, the vaginal route is cleansed by applying herbal oils and decoctions.
- It is a procedure that is used to treat gynecological disorders and purification of genital organs to prevent yeast or fungal infections.
Pinda Pottali Sweda
It is an ayurvedic therapy in which perspiration is induced by using a heated pack of specific herbal leaves.
- Pinda means bolus, Sweda means sweat, thus known as a sweat-inducing treatment.
- During this therapy, the body is massaged with special bags filled with medicinal herbs. It can also include other nutritious items like cooked rice or herbal decoction. The bags are heated in warm liquids for a few minutes and then are used for massaging the body.
- This therapy is useful for Vata disorders and provides relief from pain, inflammation, and stiffness associated with bone, joints, and musculoskeletal disorders.
Patra Pinda Sweda
The term Patra Pinda Sweda is derived from three words, Patra which means leaves, Pinda which means bolus, and Sweda which means sweat.
- It is a sweat-inducing treatment that involves the use of a bolus for the massage. The bolus is prepared with a different combination of medicinal leaves. These leaves are heated with medicinal oil along with medicinal herbs.
- This therapy is beneficial for Vata disorders such as rheumatic disorders. It induces good sleep, relieves stress, and improves blood circulation.
A specific organ/part of the body is filled with oil/ ghee etc for curing the vitiated dosha of a specific region
Basti can be classified into the following:
- It is a nourishing head and neck massage in which warm oil is used to de-stress and relax the body.
- Lukewarm herbal oils are poured into a cap fitted on the head for 15 to 60 minutes per day for a period of 7 days
- This treatment is effective for facial paralysis, dryness of nostrils-mouth-throat, severe headaches & other Vata-originated diseases.
- It is an ayurvedic treatment that is used to improve eyesight, counter fatigue and heaviness in the eyes dry eyes & slow retinal deterioration.
- Firstly, a small “dam” of lentil flour dough is secured around both eyes. Next, the dam is filled with melted herbal ghee.
- Then the patient is asked to blink every so often and some therapists even encourage mild eye exercises. After some time, the ghee in the dough dam is removed, thus completing the therapy.
- It is a pain-relieving ayurvedic treatment that is conducted for lower back pain.
- In this process, warm medicated oil is kept over the lower back with herbal paste boundary for 45 mins to 1 hour per day for 7 days.
- It is good for any type of back pain and spinal disorders
- It is an effective ayurvedic treatment for knee pain.
- In this process, warm medicated oil is kept over the knees with herbal paste boundary for 45 mins to 1 hour per day for 7 days.
- It is an ayurvedic treatment for neck pain.
- Here, warm medicated oil is kept over the neck with herbal paste boundary for 30 mins to 45 mins per day for 7 days.
- It is one of the amazing ayurvedic treatments to relax and soothe aches and pains of the back.
- Here, warm medicated oil is kept over the spine with herbal paste boundary for 45 mins to 1 hour per day for 7 days.
- It is good for any type of back pain and spinal disorders.
- This is preventive healthcare ayurvedic therapy nourishes, strengthens, balances heart function, and rejuvenates the heart through Hridaya marma
- Here, warm medicated oil is kept over the chest for 30 to 45 mins per day for 7 days.
- This is an effective treatment for Asthma, Respiratory problems, Heart Diseases, and Muscular Chest Pain.
It is the procedure of dropping the medicated oil into the ears
- This is a process where medicated fumes or medicated oil is applied to the ears for 5 to 10 minutes.
- This process helps to clean the ears and avoids ailments associated with the ear.
So, these were some of the amazing preventive healthcare ayurvedic treatments that can help keep your body fit and healthy. Following ayurvedic practices regularly can help you in healing physical ailments. It can also help you to attain mental peace and a sense of relaxation. Book your treatment curated by the best experts
- What is meant by Ayurvedic treatments?
A medical system from India that has been used for thousands of years. The goal is to cleanse the body and restore balance to the body, mind, and spirit. It uses diet, herbal medicines, exercise, meditation, breathing, physical therapy, and other methods.
- What diseases can be cured by ayurvedic treatments?
From anxiety to arthritis wide range of diseases can be cured with the help of ayurvedic treatments
- What are common ayurvedic treatments?
Ayurveda treatment starts with an internal purification process, followed by a special diet, herbal remedies, massage therapy, yoga, and meditation.
- Will Ayurveda have side effects?
Ayurveda works with the person – body, mind, and soul. Whilst there are no side effects of Ayurvedic medicines
- How effective are ayurvedic treatments?
Ayurvedic treatment is although highly effective with a proper mode of action