What is Panchkarma?
Panchkarma is a therapy that helps achieving a sense of mental and physical balance in our body and mind. It is an ayurvedic practice. Panch means five! Panchkarma is a process of five therapies that help cleanse the body from toxins. Ayurveda treats this therapy for healing the entire body and rejuvenating.
The process of Panchakarma generally starts with two sets of therapies: Oleation and Fomentation.
Oleation: Oleation involves application of oil on the body. That manages to reach the deeper tissues, helps in carrying the medicinal ingredients to every cell of the body and loosen up toxins stuck in the cells.
Fomentation: Oleation therapies are generally followed by fomentation therapies. Deep-rooted toxins loosened by oleation liquefy due to fomentation and help it to flush out of the body.
The five therapies of Panch Karma:
- Vamana: This process has medicine induced emesis; a person is given oleation and fomentation therapies for few days. Once the toxins gather in upper cavities of body, this induces vomiting and helps to eliminate toxins from the body tissues. Vamana therapy is especially for kapha-dominated conditions such as obesity, asthma and hyper acidity.
- Virechana: Elimination of toxins occurs through the evacuation of the bowels. The patient is given herbal medicines to facilitate the bowels that help in cleansing the body of toxins. Virechana therapy is for pitta-related conditions such as herpes zoster, jaundice, colitis, celiac disease etc.
- Basti: Herbal decoctions, oils, ghee or milk are administered into the rectum. This has incredible positive effects. This therapy is extremely effective against vata-related conditions such as arthritis, piles and constipation.
- Nasya: This is effective in clearing and cleansing the head region by nasal drops. The head and shoulder regions are given a gentle massage and fomentation. This brings about the cleaning of the entire head region and relieves various types of headache, migraine, hair problems, sleep disorders, neurological disorders, sinusitis, chronic rhinitis and respiratory diseases.
- Raktamokshan: This therapy is good for cleaning of blood and effective against diseases caused due to impure blood. This therapy is very useful in various skin diseases such as psoriasis, eczema, and also in local lesions such as abscesses and pigmentation.
Benefits of Panchkarma:
- Cleansing the body
- Flushing out toxins
- Opening up blocked channels
- Improving digestive strength
- Speeds up metabolism
- Weight reduction
- Repairing damaged tissues
- Boosting immune system
- Relieving stress
- Relaxing the mind
We hope you enjoyed reading this article and be benefited by it!