Today, due to high-stress levels and pollution, we see hair greying even among girls as young as 16. It has become an important concern and thousands of people, men, and women alike, are seeking medication. There was a time when gray hair was related directly to one’s age and treated as a sign of aging. These would appear typically around the 40s or even later. But today, the picture is quite different. While most people spot their first gray around their late 20s or early 30s, there are some cases where white hair is seen as early as in the teens. Melanin is a pigmentation that’s responsible for giving our hair the color it naturally has. The higher melanin content your hair follicles will generate, the darker your hair color will be. And similarly, the lower the melanin content generated by your hair follicles, the lighter your hair will be. As we grow older, there is a loss in these cells, which results in lessening the intensity of the color and eventually loss of color. When the melanin count decreases significantly at an early age, premature graying of hair is experienced.
Causes of premature hair greying
Premature graying of hair is mostly genetic in nature. So if your parents experienced the same issues and spotted their grays early, chances are, you will do the same as well. Another important reason that leads to premature gray hair is the deficiency of Vitamin B12. The absence or lack of this vitamin allows the graying process to happen faster and earlier. If you have been diagnosed with any major illness or are suffering from some health issue over a prolonged period, then you can expect to see some premature grays. Also, people who suffer from thyroid tend to gray earlier. Moreover, what you eat is what you will see, on your skin, on your hair, and on your overall health. The right kind of diet will give you all the nutrients that your body needs to function properly. If you are fit and healthy, your hair too will show the signs. And this will also help in preventing the hair from graying. The more amount of stress you have, the higher the chances of your health getting affected. Those who are prone to getting stressed or take unnecessary stress show signs of premature hair graying earlier than others of their age. Those who smoke stand four times higher chance of facing premature graying than those who don’t.
Home remedies to prevent hair graying
There are many home remedies you can try to prevent hair from graying:
- Reduce stress. Learn to manage stress and handle your time. Take short vacations frequently to keep your stress in check.
2. Eat right. There is an absolute need for us to eat right – pack in a lot of proteins as your hair and nails are made up of a protein called Keratin. Include spinach, dairy products like cheese, milk, butter, etc., if you don’t like dairy products, try low-fat ice-cream or better yet, protein supplements.
3. If you have the habit of smoking, quit it right away. Cigarettes are known to contain carcinogens or cancer-causing elements that affect your hair follicles.
4. Moreover, people with thyroid malfunctions – hyper or low secretions, also are prone graying of hair. Get your thyroid level checked.
Switch to mild shampoos
5. Switch to mild shampoos and better yet, organic shampoos. The harsh chemicals in the shampoos and conditioner are known to affect the production of the pigment and cause hair fall too.
Avoid perfumed hair oils
6. Avoid the hair oils that contain perfumes. These hair oils contain perfumes, which might contain strong chemicals. The natural the oil, the better the results and lessen the side effects like graying.
Eat a healthy diet!
7. Make sure that your diet contains sufficient amount of vegetables. Increase the consumption of spinach, celery, capsicum, cabbage, cucumber, and other green leafy vegetables and fruits.
We know all the causes and preventive measures for premature hair graying. Therefore, we should work towards it and look younger with black, strong and shiny hair.